Author Topic: "East Meets South" at St Katherine's Dock - May 27th to 29th/30th  (Read 524 times)

Offline YULETIDE

• LOA Member - East
Dear Leggies,

I'm sorry it's taken so long, but after much hassling, emails and calls, I have eventually received a very nice email from St Kat's confirming that they look forward to welcoming the LOA Flotilla in May.  I have indicated that we will arrive at around 15.00hrs BST on Saturday May 27th, approximately one hour before the 15.54hrs BST high tide and that we will probably depart in two groups, on May 29th and 30th.  However, now that we've secured our reservation, we have some flexibility to adjust these arrangements to suit everyone's plans.

I appreciate that it's been many months since I last communicated on this topic so some of you who previously registered interest may no longer be available.  Equally I am hoping that we can now tempt a few more boats to join us.  St Kat's has always been a unique and exciting venue, providing a tranquil haven nestled under the shadow of Tower Bridge.  During the winter they have apparently completed a whole renovation of the marina, with new pontoons, modern services for each berth and upgraded facilities ashore. The email from the marina staff however, confirms that "the charm and convenience of this central London marina, remains the same."

As previously explained, the trip up the Thames must be done on the flood, so the plan would be for the Eastern and Southern Flotillas to meet during the afternoon of Friday, May 26th, on the visitors' moorings on the River Swale at Queenborough, a short distance up the River Medway from Sheerness. The following day we would ride the generous flood up the Thames, passing under the QE2 bridge, through the Thames Barrier, past Canary Wharf, arriving London Bridge at around 15.0hhrs BST. 

I have provisionally assumed a party of 7 boats, with some departing St Kats on the 29th and the rest of the 30th.  However, this is flexible and I can adjust numbers and departure dates once the attendees have been confirmed.

The Eastern flotilla can generally make Queenborough in a day from the Orwell/Stour area, but those joining from the South will obviously require a few days to get there.  When I've done the run across from the Solent, I've generally stopped over in Brighton and Dover, but I'll leave you guys to make your own detailed plans for that part of the adventure.

In order to coordinate the two groups I will arrange a conference call that we can all dial into, in order to discuss plans and agree approximate timing.  Before doing so however I would like to confirm which boats would be interested in joining.  When I last communicated on this topic last autumn I had interest registered from the following boats:

Schnapsidee
Nirvana
Fourforty
Rumpus
Aurelia
Yuletide

Other members have expressed interest, but these were the boat names that I captured at the time.

St Kat's is a great location from where to explore London.  In previous East Coast trips we've taken the opportunity to visit Greenwich and taken in a West End show in the evening.  I therefore strongly encourage everyone to "give it a go".  It's a trip that everyone should do at least once!

PLEASE therefore take a look at your calendars and see if you can fit this unique opportunity into your schedules.  It will be great opportunity for our East and South coast members to meet up.

If you are able to confirm your previous interest or would like to add your name to those above, please send me an email by March 18th.  I'll then set up a conference call for interested parties to discuss the event and confirm their interest.  My email address is neil.yule@munters.co.uk.  No jokes please - it's a Swedish company...

I look forward to hearing from  lots of you!

Kind regards

Neil Yule
Yuletide
Neil & Deborah Yule
Yuletide
Legend 36

Offline John Thomson - Nirvana

• LOA Member - South
  • Nirvana - A place of perfect peace (sometimes)
Re: "East Meets South" at St Katherine's Dock - May 27th to 29th/30th
« Reply #1 on: Wed 08/Mar/2017 13:36 GMT »
Hi Neil,
Very sorry but Nirvana will have to be counted out. We are going to be out of the country when we would be due to come out from St Kats.
Really bad timing on our part. Hope it all goes well and perhaps we can arrange our timetables better for next time.
All the best John & Briony.

Offline YULETIDE

• LOA Member - East
« Reply #2 on: Tue 02/May/2017 16:04 GMT »
Dear Fellow Leggies.

After a slightly disappointing response, we have the following 5 from the East and 2 from the South joining us in St Kat's at the end of the month:

Nysa
Yuletide
Evie
Rumpus
Annie May
FourForty
Schnapsidee

I'll send an email out to all invitees to arrange a conference call, in order to agree our passage plans and domestic arrangements.

Kind regards

Neil

Neil & Deborah Yule
Yuletide
Legend 36

Offline Schnapsidee

• Schnapsidee
  • LOA Member - South
« Reply #3 on: Thu 01/Jun/2017 19:30 GMT »
The two Legends from the South - Four Forty and Schnapsidee - have safely arrived in Chichester and Hythe this evening. We had a great time!! Many thanks to Neil from Yuletide, who worked tirelessly before and during the event to make sure everything went smoothly. Also many thanks to our friends from the LOA East who made us so very welcome. All in all a brilliant experience!

Offline Schnapsidee

• Schnapsidee
  • LOA Member - South
« Reply #4 on: Fri 14/Jul/2017 16:33 GMT »
Hip hip Hoorah, its here, the block buster movie of:

EAST MEETS SOUTH

Filmed, directed & produced by the Executive Producer behind the award winning movie SEAT 25 - our very own Howard Bentley of FourForty.

Its just great. Mud Pluggers of the East, if you haven't watched it yet do so this weekend. If you're feeling a little ED (remember thats Emotionally Dysregulated), as we all were on that historic first meet abaft the concrete lighter in Queenborough harbour, then watch it twice.

Meanwhile I understand the Queenborough authorities are updating the website referencing the (not very) long list of films that have rushed to set their movies in Queenborough harbour with 'East meets South' (https://queenborough-harbour.co.uk/film-set/)

Congratulations Howard, & thank you for the DVDs you kindly sent to us all.