Author Topic: Life Jacket Checks  (Read 574 times)

Offline Bacchus

• LOA Member - South
Life Jacket Checks
« on: Mon 10/Apr/2017 10:30 GMT »
Did you know that 1 in 10 life jackets won't go off?
It is easy enough to check your own life jackets.
We have created a quick video attached with some guidance.
Thanks  :)
Bacchus Crew

Offline Leoni

• LOA Member - South
Re: Life Jacket Checks
« Reply #1 on: Tue 11/Apr/2017 11:09 GMT »
It is not a good idea to inflate a lifejacket for a test by blowing into it because of the risk of introducing condensation from your breath.  It is better to inflate using a dinghy pump.

Antony

Offline Leon Jennings "Amelia"

• LOA Member - Int
  • Leon Jennings Yacht Surveys Full Member of B.M.S.E.
    • Leon Jennings Yacht Surveys
« Reply #2 on: Tue 11/Apr/2017 12:21 GMT »
It is not a good idea to inflate a lifejacket for a test by blowing into it because of the risk of introducing condensation from your breath.  It is better to inflate using a dinghy pump.

Antony

Absolutely agree. Once you have inflated a jacket by blowing it is had its single use and should be cut up and thrown away. You MUST use a dry clean air supply to check inflation. Dinghy pump would be fine but do it on a fine sunny day or dry and warm at home.
Leon Jennings  Yacht Surveys
British Marine Surveyors Europe
Hunter 356 "Amelia"
Dubrovnik Croatia

Offline Steve Parry - Kaikoura

• LOA Member - South
« Reply #3 on: Wed 12/Apr/2017 19:58 GMT »
I have some concern when we are getting 'professional' videos on this forum which are very misleading and may have serious consequences down the line.  I think it would be preferable if a local lifejacket manufactures such as Crewsaver gave us the correct advice. Thanks to Anthony and Leon for pointing this out.

Offline Bacchus

• LOA Member - South
« Reply #4 on: Thu 13/Apr/2017 13:57 GMT »
Having read comments I can see how people have different views. You are correct that if lifejackets are professionally serviced a clean air source is used. Lifejackets have a life span of five years but should be checked every six months or at least once a year. If they cannot be blown into why have a manual inflator tube? If a life jacket is fired they are designed to be able to be repacked and rearmed. This video is so leisure boaters can check their own jackets at home. A dingy pump can be used, I have for several years taken mine home and blown them up to test. I have in twenty years never had a Lifejacket issue, bladder problem or any related issue with how I test jackets in a private leisure nature.
I have posted checks information on many advice sites. A year ago this information identified three lifejackets that deflated of which were used by children, without this it would maybe never have been identified and could have been a serious issue for the wearer. It is a personal preference to take on advice or do something different.
I have dealt with a club who had a fatality from a unchecked & not serviced Lifejacket. That club now from advice we aided to provide has given them this information which is very simple and gets across a quick and easy check on life jackets.
If it identifies any issues on any lifejackets then it's done it's job and saved a potential issue.
As a RYA training centre we show how to check your own Lifejacket and the things we have seen would simply shock most people about the subject. Useless unless worn, (RNLI) also useless if not Checked!
Decisions on how are up to the individual, we can only give guidance.
Bacchus Crew

Offline Leon Jennings "Amelia"

• LOA Member - Int
  • Leon Jennings Yacht Surveys Full Member of B.M.S.E.
    • Leon Jennings Yacht Surveys
« Reply #5 on: Thu 13/Apr/2017 20:52 GMT »
Having read comments I can see how people have different views. You are correct that if lifejackets are professionally serviced a clean air source is used. Lifejackets have a life span of five years but should be checked every six months or at least once a year. If they cannot be blown into why have a manual inflator tube? If a life jacket is fired they are designed to be able to be repacked and rearmed. This video is so leisure boaters can check their own jackets at home. A dingy pump can be used, I have for several years taken mine home and blown them up to test. I have in twenty years never had a Lifejacket issue, bladder problem or any related issue with how I test jackets in a private leisure nature.
I have posted checks information on many advice sites. A year ago this information identified three lifejackets that deflated of which were used by children, without this it would maybe never have been identified and could have been a serious issue for the wearer. It is a personal preference to take on advice or do something different.
I have dealt with a club who had a fatality from a unchecked & not serviced Lifejacket. That club now from advice we aided to provide has given them this information which is very simple and gets across a quick and easy check on life jackets.
If it identifies any issues on any lifejackets then it's done it's job and saved a potential issue.
As a RYA training centre we show how to check your own Lifejacket and the things we have seen would simply shock most people about the subject. Useless unless worn, (RNLI) also useless if not Checked!
Decisions on how are up to the individual, we can only give guidance.

i am so sorry that you seem to have taken some offence. All that you have said is not in question nor is it challenged in any way, except, blowing into a life jacket with ones mouth. It is designed to be used in this way in an emergency only and then only to the end of that emergency. Once moisture enters the jacket in this way its working life is then cut short. In fact once used in anger as it were it should then be discarded. The advice being given above by myself was simply use a dry source to inflate. I absolutely ask that everyone please considers checks of their safety equipment at least once a year if not more.
Leon Jennings  Yacht Surveys
British Marine Surveyors Europe
Hunter 356 "Amelia"
Dubrovnik Croatia